Matcha Rose CupcakesMakes 12
Featuring fluffy Matcha cupcakes with a hint of rose in the icing, these cupcakes are perfect for Valentine's Day!
An original recipe prepared for us by Probably This.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Aiya Cooking Grade Matcha
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
Rose Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened and room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and room temperature
- 24 oz powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1-2 Tbsp beet juice (optional, for color only)
- 1-2 Tbsp whole milk ** (only necessary if icing is looking too thick)
- Place an oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with parchment cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and matcha. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, yogurt, milk, and both extracts.
- Whisk the dry mix into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined and no lumps remain.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or with a hand-held mixer), beat the egg whites until they form medium peaks. Fold the egg white mixture into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cupcake pan, and bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out crumb-free.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and cream cheese on high speed until fluffy, scraping down the bowl as necessary, about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, beating between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the rose water and beet juice, and beat to combine, about 30 seconds.
- If frosting is not the desired consistency, add a teaspoon of whole milk at a time, beating between each addition, until consistency is reached. Beat an additional two minutes to add body to the frosting before transferring it to a piping bag. Decorate cupcakes as desired.
The Matcha used in this recipe is available in: